Serving Legal Papers in South Korea

In South Korea, international service of process is governed by the Hague Service Convention, which South Korea has ratified. This means that foreign litigants can serve legal documents on individuals and entities in South Korea through the Central Authority designated by the Korean government.

To serve documents in South Korea, the foreign litigant must follow the procedures set out in the Hague Service Convention. This typically involves preparing a request for service, which includes information such as the names and addresses of the parties involved, the nature of the case, and the documents to be served. The request must be written in Korean or translated into Korean.

Once the request is submitted to the Central Authority in South Korea, it will be processed and served on the recipient in accordance with Korean law. The Central Authority will then provide a certificate of service, which the foreign litigant can use as evidence of service in the foreign court.

It is important to note that international service of process can be a complex and time-consuming process, and it is often advisable to seek the assistance of a lawyer or professional service provider with experience in this area.